Friday 9 September 2011

Photo shoot with Femi Temowo

In preparation for Nigerian jazz guitarist Femi Temowo’s new album launch on 23rd September 2011, we had a photo shoot at North Acton with the Orin Meta T shirt based on his album cover.
First issue for me was getting there, I mean North Acton? There are some places that I believed only exist on the tube map!
Second issue is the wind; I swear there is a dedicated and hardcore wind blowing straight at you as you leave the tube station
Third issue is that one way system, I mean if you ever want t design a system for a Naija man to walk round and round in circles this is it. Because obviously western civilisation will collapse and the whole myth of manliness crash around my heels if I asked directions so I wandered around for a good half hour trying to figure out, where I was and where I was trying to go.
After wandering around the one way system we finally linked up with Femi, Adil (the photographer), Bobbie and Ayeesha at the studio.
While I skulked at the back while Adil worked his magic, Femi and the crew got involved. I was mightily disappointed in Adil that he didn’t invite anyone to “Love the Camera” or shout “You’re a tiger, you’re a tiger, grrr, grrr!”  ala Austin /powers, I was informed somewhat gently that sane photographers don’t act like that!
Bobbie (Femi’s brother and a spoken word artist) started out as the most reluctant model yet by the end was so relaxed and composed that we actually had to keep reminding them that we had other shots to get in!
Hopefully some modelling agencies will get to see these pictures as there is a definite career there waiting to happen if Bobbie lets me publish them, (for the record I will only be charging 10% finders fee for life and in perpetuity, enforceable throughout the universe!!)
The beautiful Ayeesha and the newly discovered Bobbie kindly agreed to model some of the new ‘Proud To Be Nigeria’ and ‘Born in the UK Made in Nigeria’ T shirts, sweatshirts and hoodys. I’m really loving this collection not just because it is ‘Made in Nigeria’ themed but because I have finally branched out into different colours and a wider variety of sizes.
In contrast the Limited edition Orin Meta T shirts are black with the Orin Meta design on the front and the Proud To Be African (PTBA2) roundel logo on the back, the beautiful design on the front is unique to the album and was influenced by the Orin Meta (Yoruba for three songs) concept
Femi  described by Time Out Magazine asOne of Europe’s finest and most sought after guitarists” has played with Soweto Kinch, Amy Winehouse, George Benson to name a few releases his second album on Friday 23rd September 2011 at Under The Bridge, Stamford Bridge, Fulham Road, London, SW6 1HS tickets are available from http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_london&query=detail&event=461161. The limited edition Orin Meta T shirts are available from http://proudtobeafrican.co.uk/index.php/shop/orin-meta.html

No comments:

Post a Comment